Thursday, December 16, 2010

Conversation Partner #4

Today was my last meeting with Sujin. I decided to take her to a classic TCU student tradition: Fuzzys. We both got chicken tacos and chips and queso. Sujin and I are very compatible because we both share a love for eating. If we couldn’t think of something to do we were both like “Hey! Let’s get tacos! Or hey! Feeling Italian today?” Anyway, this was her first time to have chips and queso. I informed her that this was a basic necessity for living and a typical dinner for me at least once a week. I am a simple girl. I can live off just chips and melted cheese. Shaking her head disapprovingly, she tried this delicacy.

Then I think she began to understand why I tend to feast on this weekly. After enjoying some tasty chicken tacos, we exchanged Christmas gifts. I decided to get her a necklace with bright colored beads. She bought me a Godiva chocolate bar and wrote me a beautiful note. Chocolate during finals week is like a piece of happiness in the midst of doom. After reading her card, I realized how much of an impact we had on each other. While it didn’t seem that these weekly meetings were a big deal, they actually meant a lot to Sujin. Living with her Aunt and Uncle, she didn’t get the chance to hang out with many Americans. This friendship was significant to me as well because she had qualities that I wanted to reawaken in myself like passion for life and traveling. She told me how she wanted to travel more and see the world. We like what is comfortable to us; yet, it is imperative that we break through that comfort zone. Talk to someone you don’t know, taste food that you wouldn’t usually try, listen to music you usually don’t listen to, and who knows what will happen. Each experience contributes to the individual as a whole. It is just a matter of taking those chances and developing a sense of passion for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment